Sunday, July 11, 2010

Baby Shower Gift: Diaper Cake




Okay, I'll admit this is not a pure fiber craft project, but bear with me! There are a number of babies being welcomed into families I know this summer. My cousin in Maine is due with her first at the end of August, and had a baby shower this weekend. I like to give useful gifts, and we can only wrap babies in so many blankets. Diapers, however, are almost always needed.
More details, photos of the process, and video lesson below...

I started with a box of 96 pampers swaddlers, $30 at Baby's R' Us. Each is wraped into little cylindars. I heard good reviews of them online. I didn't like how they had a bit of glue on the outside from the packaging. I put the mini elastics (like those used for braiding) over the glue marks. I had enough extra for a mini cake in the end, going to another family.

They are then layered around a paper towel roll. Slice the paper towel roll to be able to slip three diapers in, so it looks nice once finished. Others suggest candy filled bottles in the middle. I say moms can find candy but diapers are more welcome in a pinch.




All three tiers, wrapped in the elastics to give them shape.





Cut ribbon for each tier. I used a mini binder clip to hold it in place while I got ready for the hot glue, pulling it tight before application.



Here are all three tiers, tied up in ribbons!



I learned it all from this video.


No comments:

Post a Comment